Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Simple Garden

My vegetable garden started out as an experiment.   I've never had my own vegetable garden and read a book about the square foot garden method, so I thought I'd give it a try.   I started my seeds indoors in early spring for tomotoe and mixed pepper plants.   The wood for the frame/box came from our neighbourhood large garbage pick up day, discarded by others.   With the reclaimed wood, a raised box was built 4 ft x 16 ft and filled with garden earth and 2 years of collecting compost in 3 compost bins.   I use absolutely no pesticides or fertilizers and there are few, if any, weeds.   There are no isles for rows - so little space for any weeds to grow.  I have 7 rain barrels around my house collecting rain water.   It's now early August and have not used my hose once this year for watering the vegetable garden or any of my perennial beds or flower pots.   All the water comes from the rain barrels.   Radishes, peas, beets, carrots, pole beans, mixed peppers, cherry and beefsteak tomatoes, squash, zucchini and cucumbers were planted.  I have a bumper crop of beans and am already daily enjoying fresh radishes, beets, carrots, peas, zucchinis and beans.  I feel great about growing my own organic vegetables and the savings on my grocery bill and even better all less than 100 feet from my back door ! 

How's that for the 100 mile diet !







12 comments:

  1. Your garden looks superb!


    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! What a cool garden! You are such an inspiration :) My hubby and I live in an apartment but I cannot wait to have a garden like this someday :) Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the same thing last year, ours didn't look as good as that. Great, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this one Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways! I will be sharing this on my fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice garden idea.I like it and simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden has me so inspired! We're planning one for the Spring and I love the idea of staggering the height of your boxes. I'll be following your for more tips...I need all the help I can get. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. You've done a wonderful job. I'm an old lady, now, and have done the postage stamp method since the 60s but when I moved into this house, I built a waist-high garden 6x24ft that makes it so much easier. These intensive gardens really produce and you can plant new seeds as you pull out finished plants for a longer-growing season. Keep spreading the word, and come visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have enjoyed this article! You would like some of the articles I have as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something else! They always start as an experiment but end up being an addiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right ! Since this vegetable garden was done, I've added another raised bed beside it and this year am expanding to the front yard on our suburban lot.

      Delete
  10. The 100 Foot Diet...now that has a nice ring to it!
    Great work :-)
    http://pinterest.com/npecom/

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Just WOW! I have a large garden area, thought it would be better than raised for space. I've decided to add raised beds but this just solidified my decision!

    ReplyDelete

Pin it