Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Simple Laundry

Another way I have simplified – is the laundry.

I make my own laundry detergent (cost savings!), and rarely use the dryer (another savings – electricity)

There are lots of youtube videos out showing you how to make your own detergent, and lots of different recipes for liquid and dry detergents. 

I first found the idea of making my own laundry detergent at The Simple Dollar website. www.thesimpledollar.com .  The Simple Dollar is one of my favourite websites for ideas on organizing your finances and tons of simple ways to save money.  

I make the dry version of the laundry detergent.  It’s easy to store and takes up little room on my shelf.  I saved a large coffee can, removed the label and created my own label with the recipe and instructions.     I rarely use my dryer anymore and hang everything indoors during the winter, and outside during the summer.  I use vinegar in the “liquid fabric dispenser” of my washing machine.  The vinegar not only softens the clothes, but removes any static and as an added bonus keeps the inside of my washer clean too.   No… my clothes don’t smell like vinegar !   They smell fresh and clean.

When I mentioned to hubby one day that I needed somewhere to hang laundry indoors, he built me a rack which holds two loads of laundry.  It’s suspended from the ceiling on pulleys in the basement and can be lowered and raised as needed.   It was all built with scrap wood and some rope we had in the house.    Air drying your laundry lengthens the life of your clothes.    Hanging laundry doesn’t take long, and gives you a bit of exercise, and if you hang your cloths right, ironing is not needed either !

Lots of savings all around, on detergent, fabric softner, electricity, and your clothes !!! 


Dryer Rack - for hanging laundry inside in winter and rainy days

4 comments:

  1. Andy made me a laundry rack like this one when we lived in Tonga. Inside drying is not really doable in our 'simplifed life style' now that we've pared our green foot-print down to 560 sq ft. We save in many other ways
    BUT I will check out making our own laundry soap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your ideas about make own laundry detergent.
    I think this product also save the earth for Green Saving.

    Thank you

    Mommy
    mommym241@gmail.com
    http://www.laundromatideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these two great ideas on the Country Homemaker Hop! I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would be lost without my dryer racks around the woodstove:) Going to try that laundry soap recipe. Thank you. B

    ReplyDelete

Pin it