Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Homemade Jam

Preserving food in my grandmother's generation was a way of life.   They didn't have freezers and grocery stores lined with mass produced food as we do today.  Economy was also the motivation for preserving food at home.    Today, economy is again in the forefront.  

There are many benefits to home preserving - you know where your food is coming from, how it is grown, what form of pesticides/fertilizers have been used or if they are organic or not.  You can control what goes into your preserves ie. no added preservatives or colours, the freshest food (I try to make the same day as I've picked the fruit/vegetables).  Preserves make wonderful gifts to family and friends or as a hostess gift and you get a great sense of accomplishment when you make your own preserves.

After making pies, I had enough strawberries and rhubarb to make jam.   The taste of homemade jam far surpasses anything you can buy in the grocery store.  I used the recipe inside the certo box.   This year I tried the certo that requires only half the sugar of regular jam.   It is not as sweet and is 33% less calories as the original certo.   In my opinion a better tasting jam.

Fresh picked strawberries

Homemade Jam


1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmm...jam.....I love homemade jam, I really must try to make my own one of these days. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Pin it