Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Simple Hoya Plant

Over 27 years ago a friend gave me a clipping from their Hoya plant.   This plant is still thriving and given us much enjoyment.  I've given many clippings to friends and family to start their own plants.

The Hoya plant is a low maintenance plant and very easy to grow.  It doesn't need alot of watering, and does well, if you forget to water, which makes it a great plant for those who don't have much success with indoor plants.   

Hoyas grow well indoors, preferring bright but not direct sunlight.  The Hoya Plant is one of the easiest plants to grow and are often fragrant. The wax plant, as it is sometimes called, loves to be ignored and they are part of the succulent family.  They do well in hanging baskets both indoors and out (I bring mine in for the winter as they won't survive the freezing temperatues and snow in Canada).  The older the plant the more magnificent the blooms.    Water hoya  thoroughly about once every two weeks, allowing the soil to dry out completely before watering again. It has a high tolerance for drought conditions, but the plant will not tolerate soggy or wet soils.



3 comments:

  1. Well you are absolutely right they certainly thrive on being ignored I can vouch for that as I had a Hoya given to me in the early 1970s and it sat on a window ledge for 5 years and bloomed canstantly, then I moved house, and it didn't seem to like the place I had placed it in ,and didn't bloom for another 8 years so I moved it back in to a sunny position and it started to flower again, and has been ever since although I'm ashamed to admit it, it has never been repotted since I got it 40 years and only water it very little Think I will repot it now

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never seen another flower like this one.
    my mom gave me a clipping also. Never expected it to actually produce such an amazing cluster of bliss. way to go mom's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My coworker gave me a clipping and I brought it home and left it for months. When I came back, it was alive so I potted it and it started to grow fast and long, and now it has flowered for me. I had no idea what it was until I found these pictures. What a cool little plant.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it