Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Homemade Christmas Series #2 : Hand Knitted Dish Cloths


Looking for a quick gift to make?  Need a hostess gift ?

Knitting dish cloths is one of those small projects I do in between larger projects.   They are quick to make and don't require a lot of concentration.   In fact, I can practically knit them with my eyes closed now.   Knitted dish cloths is a small portable project which I can carry in my purse and knit any time I have to wait while out on errands or a passenger in a car.    They are a great project for those learning to knit, with quick results.   I usually have a stash of knitted cloths on hand as they make great hostess gifts and bazaar item for craft sales.  I have also given them as shower gifts at bridal showers, keeping in mind the new bride's colour scheme for her kitchen.    They are a very practical gift and once they've served you well in the kitchen, they can be used as cleaning rags for the rest of the house.

The cotton yarn comes in a variety of colours to suit everyone's taste. You will always have a little bit left over of yarn once your dish cloth is complete, but I save them and once I have enough left overs I can knit up another colourful dish cloth, so nothing is wasted.

The free pattern for the dish cloth is usually on the inside sleeve of the ball of yarn, but just in case it's not, I'm posting the pattern here.

Basic Dish Cloth Pattern 



1 skein colour of your choice of cotton
(4 ply worsted weight);
Knitting needles : 1 pair 6:00 mm (U.S. 10, U.K. 4)

Cast on 4 sts.
Row 1: K, across
Row 2:  K2, yo, K to end of row
Repeat Row 2 until there are 43 sts on needle.
Next Dec. Rows:  K1, K2 tog, yo, K2 tog, K to end
Continue working dec. row until 4 st remain.
Cast off remaining stitches

Abbreviations:  K = knit, St(s) = stitch(es), Tog = together
YO = yarn over, Rep = repeat, dec = decrease

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it