Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

How far can you stretch a roasted chicken ??

Chicken's were on sale recently at the store.   Two 5 lb chickens for $10.00.

Before cooking


How far can you stretch one chicken ?  I have three ways :

1)   First I roast it ... one meal.  I save all the drippings for soup - refrigerate or freeze the drippings so that the fat goes to the top and take off once cooled.
2)  Next - leftover's go in to a casserole, stir fry or for sandwiches
3)  And best .... using the bones and drippings for a big pot of low fat healthy soup which will last for several meals ( throw in any combination of your favourite vegetables ie, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, kale, cabbage, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, beans, lentils herbs any left overs- ie rice/potatoes/grain, vegetable stock saved from various steamed vegetables from previous meals and frozen ) - see my Stone Soup post for ideas on making soup.

4 comments:

  1. Plus you can freeze the fat until you have enough to make soap like the old timers used to, but I guess you'd have chicken seasoned soap. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow Canadian Here. Fell upon you today. Lovely blog,
    Love your handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I roasted a chicken last night and the bones are in the crock pot, now, simmering away to make a delicious broth to be used in tonight's supper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making soup stock with my chicken bones.

    Lovely blo.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Pin it