Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Becoming an Urban Homesteader Series - #2


Urban Homesteading Series #2 the 2nd post in a series.  If you missed my first post and some inspiring video clips click HERE. 

Why be an Urban Homesteader?
With the economy being so volatile and unpredictable, learning to be self-sufficient has become fashionable again (during War time it was the Victory Garden) and in a lot of situations has become a necessity.  Being an urban homesteader will increase your self-sufficiency, reduce your carbon foot print, increase your food security, save money and you will become healthier in the process.  AND, it can be fun !

There has been a growing popularity in books published in the last few years on “being green”, “natural living”, “sustainable living”, “suburban survivalists”, "urban homesteading".   Our ancestors would chuckle as people try to learn the long forgotten skills that our grandparents had and practiced on a daily basis, such as cooking from scratch, baking, preserving, sewing, knitting, growing vegetables, “do-it-yourself”.  For them it was a way life - and didn't carry a label such as "natural living, being green, sustainable living, simple living", etc. 

You don't have to have alot of land to be an urban homesteader.   I live in a suburb where lots sizes are not very big.  I started out with a small vegetable raised bed and have learned to incorporate vegetables in amongst the perennial beds too.   When I lived in a town house - my back yard was even smaller, but grew vegetables in pots on my deck and in my kitchen window.   If you live in an apartment you can still grow some vegetables on window ledges, kitchen counter tops, balconies, fire escapes, roof tops, etc.   It's all within your imagination.

Make it a family project, teach your children – skills they will have for a lifetime and future generations.

As the saying goes… “What is old is new again”.

Janet

9 comments:

  1. It seems people are being led to do this! I only wish my husband would be led! I am struggling with my poor soil and shady yard. On my blog, this a.m., the top updates on the blogs I follow have had posts similar to yours! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think people are realizing that we need to be more self reliant and good stewards! Good post. If you haven't seen this video "Back to Eden", yet it's a good one. I posted it this morning!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/back-to-eden-gardening-gods-way.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the video - Excellent - thanks ! My challenge now is to find some good (free) mulch.

      Delete
  3. Great Post!

    Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I have selected you for the 'Versatile Blogger Award'! Stop by my blog to accept your award!

    Lisa
    http://littlehomesteadonthehill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the suburb I live in people don't understand the idea of self sustainability. Old houses are getting torn down and new ones are getting built bigger so that all people are left with is a 3ft x 3ft yard. We have all the box stores here, and that's really what people care about. I have to say, I feel so out of place where i live :P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a great deal of land...but it has provided for all of our needs when it comes to growing delicious vegetables, fruits and herbs. I can not have animals due to regulations...but I am able to get eggs, milk and meat through the farmers that can.

    Excellent post as always!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are wonderful posts.
      I grew up farming and now at 50 am still doing it. I would not change my hard back breaking farm life for anything. Everything we have accomplished or messed up has been our own doing. yet I still enjoy reading how others are doing things. Just an interest I guess.........like your blog!

      Delete
  6. I saw a photo of this really cool raised bed, tall legs with wheels...so tall, that if I had one, I could garden standing up. I'd never have to bend down to pick veggies. So when I'm able to afford it, I'm going to buy one of those to start!!! THanks for your post ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin it