Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Benefits of Being a CSA Member

Last week was the last pick-up for my local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) winter program.  I've been a member of the CSA for one year and love it !    I can't grow all or enough vegetables for our family in our small yard as I don't get enough hours of sun.  So the next best thing is to support our local farmers !

Benefits of being a CSA member:
  • I have learned to cook in season.  
  • I rarely go to the grocery store anymore.  
  • My grocery bill is lower.  
  • We are eating healthier
  • We are supporting local farming
  • We are eating locally 
  •  I have learned more about farming and growing my own food
  • Eggs from the farm taste better and are very fresh !
  • Tried vegetables that I haven't had before, which are not available in my local grocery store, ie sunchokes, black and daikon radishes,
  • Food we get from the farm is healthier and tastes better.  The farm I go to practices biodynamics.
This winter season we've enjoyed from the farm;  Fresh spinach, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions (red/yellow), garlic, dried caynne peppers, cabbages (various - savoy, purple, green), dried beans (black, romano), red/black/daikon radish, potatoes (russet/red/white), sunchokes, celeriac, fresh eggs and local meat such as lamb/beef/pork.

This year, for the first time the farm is offering a Spring program, which I'm looking forward to and will carry us close to when the Summer program begins.

So, if you can't grow your own vegetables look into a CSA program close to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it