Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Becoming an Urban Homesteader Series #6 - This week's happenings....

It's mid April in gardening zone 5b.  We are about a month ahead in the growing season here compared to other years.

This week have been getting the garden beds ready for planting seeds early.     I'm going to start some cool weather vegetables outside - chard, spinach, kale, and lettuce before the predicted rain comes this weekend.. 

The garlic at the front of one of the raised beds is coming along great.  Rhubarb is coming along too.   The pallet garden I experimented with perennials is showing life.    The chives outside are starting to flower.   The indoor seedlings are coming along well - Tomatoes, kale and other perennials. 

7 comments:

  1. Your pallet garden is interesting ... what are you growing in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my pallet garden is situated under the eaves of the house it misses alot of the rain. I've planted drought resistant plants - ie hen's & chickens, sedum and portulaca for colour. Some herbs would do ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see it... it is looking nice already :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great to watch this journey! I hope more people do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my beets, snow peas and spinach in already but the lack of water is keeping them from any progress. You asked about my socks. When I join the yarn, as I knit I carry the thread from the yarn I just cut through the back of the knitting, and then the next round the lenght of yarn from the new colour along the back of the knitting. This leaves no holes, or bumps. Hope this helps.
      M

      Delete
  5. It's looking really good :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You share such beautiful image of garden. Its all pix is too cool and look like close to nature. Its looking too good. You have done great work.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it