Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Bread made with Beans

Have you ever heard of baking bread with beans?  I hadn't until I came across the book "Spilling the Beans" by Julie Van Rosendaal & Sue Duncan.     This bread is so easy to make and requires no kneading and very little attention.  Despite adding a cup of cooked beans, it has the texture of white bread.  In this recipe I substituted one cup of white flour for spelt flour.  

The recipe also called for white beans.  I used the Lina Cisco beans I had on hand which gave the bread a darker colour once baked.  
Yum - delicious !

The book also says it works well as a pizza crust too.


3 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful loaf of bread, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is just delicious! How does it taste? Does it taste heavy at all? And any side effects after eating it?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria - the taste was much lighter than I anticipated and no side affects - there was just one cup of cooked beans in the recipe.

      Delete

Pin it