At times it feels like I've haven't accomplished much. Yes, I do have a full time job and work long hours, plus commute. I have such good intentions of getting somethings done when I get home, but after 8-10 hours of work, and add in 2 hours of commute time, I'm too tired to do much in the evenings, besides getting a meal on the table and clean up.
After writing down what I've accomplished this month, I realize that I did get more done than I thought :
|Garlic, Tomatoes, and seeds from my garden|
- Fish Experiment does work. Fish are happy in my rain barrels and after 2 weeks there are no mosquito larvae !
- Foraging - garlic mustard seed
- Tried some new recipes - turmeric sauce
- Knitting - finished another layette set
- Led a couple of hikes on the Bruce Trail for the Monday evening hikers this month. I am a volunteer hike leader and this summer led a total of 7 hikes during the evenings. Evenings are much cooler than the day without the hot sun. Due to lack of rain there has been minimal mosquitoes in the woods too.
- Egg shells do work - no blossom end rot this year ... I missed the early blight as well as blossom end rot I had last year which killed a lot of my tomato plants, but got late blight this year - Any suggestions on how to keep blight at bay without chemicals let me know!
- A day trip to Listowel for their annual wool tent sale at the Spinnrite Factory, and many thrift stores on the way back. Not sure I'd go back another time. Len's Mill store in Guelph also has their annual tent sale this time of year and had much the same wool at the same prices. Was a nice day out just the same and scenery was beautiful. We took a picnic lunch and stopped at a park in a shaddy spot. My friend must avoid all gluten and dairy, so eating out is too challenging - our picnic was much more enjoyable.
- Our very old pool is finally looking absolutely great. The water sparkles. Took at lot of work to get the algae out. Too bad the season is too short to enjoy it more. We don't have a heater and the August nights have been cool - dropping down to 10C some nights, so the day time temperature in the pool is only about 68F.
- Spent a vacation day cleaning my father-in-law's house. He's in his late 80's now and still living in his own house. The cleaning was a birthday present. A spring cleaning top-to-bottom, including windows and carpets, fridge, stove. A friend helped and we spent the whole day and only got half done. I still need to go back to clean one more room, the insides of his kitchen cupboards and wash the carpets.
|Our "watch cat".|
- Planted zucchini seed in a pot and already have blossoms on the plants. I'm hoping the powdery mildew doesn't get to the plants before they have a chance to bear some fruit this year.
- Put some netting from the dollar store around the veggie garden so daughter's dog won't dig up it up. He's buried a bone somewhere in the garden
- Trying to grow spinach... it's just not working. I think It's too hot...and lack of rain.
- Looking at plans for a cold frame to grow veggies in the winter in my raised boxes.
- Collecting seeds from my garden for next year's garden. Collected so far Purple Cone Flower (Echinacea), nasturtiums, and columbine. I'll start the cone flower inside during the winter.
|Nasturtiums in window boxes on the fence|
|Purple Corn Flower seed (Echinacea)|
|Sad spaghetti squash|