Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Pickles

Dilly Bean Pickle, Dill Pickle
It's been a busy canning time....

So far I've made:
1)  Salsa - 15 jars
2)  Canned Tomatoes - 15 jars
3)  Garlic Mustard Seed Mustard - 2 jars
4)  Dilly Beans - 7 jars
5)  Bread & Butter Pickles - 25 jars
6)  Garlic scape pesto - 6 jars
7)  Turmeric Sauce - 2 jars
8)  Dill Pickles- 18 jars

One of my favourite bread & butter pickle recipes comes from Jean Pare's "Company's Coming" preserving book.  These pickles are great in sandwiches, burgers or just on the side.

Makes 6 to 7 pints
16 cups sliced cucumbers with peel, 1/8 inch thick
6 onions thinly sliced
1 large red pepper, seeded and slivered
1 large green pepper, seeded, slivered
1/2 cup coarse (pickling salt)

5 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
3 cups white vinegar.

Place cucumbers into large bowl.  Add onion, red pepper, green pepper and salt. Cover and let stand on counter for 3 hours.  Drain well.

Combine last 5 ingredients in large pot.  Heat on medium-high, stirring occasionally until mixture boils.  Add vegetables.  Heat until it just reaches a boil.   Using slotted spoon, fill hot sterilized jars with vegetables to within 1 inch of top.  Pour hot syrup over vegetables to within 1/4 inch of top.   Seal.

Enjoy !

6 comments:

  1. oh, how I wished I liked pickles :( It seems to be so important, but I just can't take them. oh well.

    Yours looks so nice and compact. I am sure they must taste delicious.

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy! That pesto sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these a few times and they taste just like the Bicks brand. I haven't made them for a few years and I forget if I have to rince the salt off the cukes, or just drain the liquid out? Please help. I'm hoping to make these today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot to ask.....are we processing these for 30 minutes? I wrote that down, but don't remember if that's what I actually did.

      Delete
    2. Hi - when I made them I just drained well and did not rinse. I didn't process and kept well.

      Delete
  4. thanks Janet!! cant' wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it