Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Homemade Salsa

On our recent trip to St. Jacobs market I bought a half bushel of roma tomatoes.   With it I made 14 jars of salsa and canned another 14 jars of tomatoes for the pantry.

My favourite Salsa recipe comes from the "Company's Coming" preserving book - by Jean Pare.   I won 2nd price at the fall fair for my salsa one year - even after it had been scorched in the pot.  It must have been that "smoked" flavour !



Homemade Salsa




Here's the salsa recipe:

Makes 10 half pints or 5 pints

4.5 lbs of ripe tomatoes
3 jalapeno peppers
1 large onion
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 - 5.5 oz can of tomato paste
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp coarse (pickling salt)
2 tsp paprika
2 cloves, minced garlic

Combine all ingredients in large pot.  Bring to boil, uncovered over medium heat stirring occasionally.  Boil gently for 60 minutes until desired consistency.  Close to the end of cooking, taste test and at this point can add more jalapeno peppers of desired for a hotter salsa.  Pour into sterilized jars within 1/4 inch of top.  Seal.  



3 comments:

  1. I like this salsa too, only I include a can of chopped green chilies. I have it simmering on the stove right now. I found your page because my MIL wanted the recipe and I didn't want to type it all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i use green chilies too because
    the kids dont like the heat and my husband shouldn't have it and I love this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago, my aunt photocopied this recipe from her book. It is tattered and splotched.....and missing in action. Mr. Google to the rescue. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it