Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rhubarb - Things I have learned


I have had good luck with my Rhubarb this year, despite the lack of rain.   I moved a large clump of rhubarb to a sunnier spot a couple of years ago and it likes it's new home in one of the raised beds.   

Some things I've learned about Rhubarb. 

1.  Rich in Vitamin C and fiber
2.  Low in calories and sodium and quite sour.
3.  Only the stalks are edible.   The leaves are poisonous
4.  Chinese medicine uses the root for medicinal purposes such as antiseptic, astringent, diuretic, laxative, promotes blood circulation, inhibits intestinal infections and reduce autoimmune reactions to name a few.
5.  The leaves makes an environmentally friendly pot cleaner.
6.  The leaves can be made into an effective organic insecticide for those leaf eating insects.
7.  Great in baking - muffins, pie, chutney, fruit crisp.  Check out the links for some recipes.
8.  Easy to freeze for later use - just clean, chop, bag, freeze.
9.  Easy to grow - it's a perennial and very winter hard and is resistant to drought (a good plant for our dry summer !)


1 comment:

  1. Oh...how I wish I liked to eat this vegetable - but alas, I don't like it at all :(

    Yours looks so healthy...

    m.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it