Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

My First Knitting Project

My first knitting project I made when I was 10 years old.   It was for my "knitters badge" for Brownies (Girl Guides).   A pink baby blanket.  I had no pattern, so I made up my own - knit 5, purl 5 to make up the squares - for 5 rows each, then switch.   For the border I knit 20 rows - garter stitch.  For the border sides - knit 20 at the beginning and end of each row.  When I reached the desired length of the blanket, knit 20 rows garter stitch, bind off.

I got my badge those many years ago and still have the blanket and my own babies used this blanket and now the grandchildren will too.






6 comments:

  1. That is lovely. I first knitted when I was 4. My mother insisted her only daughter could knit. I am so happy she made me. I find it so relaxing even with difficult patterns and kids screaming in the background! Isn't it nice to make something so useful and with so much love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on it Janet. It certainly has withstood the test of time. When I was moving my mother out of her house, I found my first embroidery project that I did when I was five. Not to toot my own horn, but it was amazingly well done for a pre-schooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great Job!!I have to make a Stadium Blanket for a College Freshman whose colors are Red and Black. I was wondering how big is your blanket? What size needles and yarn did you use?

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - this baby blanket was crib size. Worsted weight washable yarn was used and, if memory serves was either a 4.5 mm or 5 mm needle.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I honestly can't remember how many I cast on for this blanket. It was so many years ago and I did not have a pattern. You can though, cast on as many as you would like your blanket size to be - and allow the # of stitches to match your pattern. ie in this case each square is 5 knit stitches, then 5 purl stitches, and the border was 10 stitches in garter stitch.

      Delete

Pin it