Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Foraging for Rose Hips

I picked wild rose hips on a recent hike.  Having never had rose hips and not knowing what to do with them I searched on the internet and found a few links to jelly recipes.   One from The Essential Herbal Blog and the other at Simply Recipes.

Rose hips have beneficial health properties.  The whole plant can be used in a variety of ways.
 


Wild Rose hips on the right / rose hips left from my climbing rose bush at home
Sorted / cleaned and cooking on the stove
Cook, stirring often until hips are soft enough to mash

pour mash into jelly bag and let  sit until enough juice is extracted for your recipe

Juice - with added ingredients - cooking
End result - Rose Hip Jelly




2 comments:

  1. I have them everywhere on the farm, but have never used them in anything. I have so much on my platter right now but gee that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! I dry my rose hips and use them in tea :) Thank you for sharing this with me today Janet! :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it