Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Gold Fish : Winter Retreat


This summer I tried an experiment by putting gold fish into my rain barrels to help curb mosquito larvae population.

The gold fish did a fantastic job - the barrels were clear of mosquito larvae -- a first for me.   So now that summer has ended and the rain barrels needed to be emptied so that they don't freeze and crack over the winter, I needed somewhere to put all these goldfish.

I stumbled upon the perfect solution at a garage sale early in September.   A almost new fish tank in mint condition complete with all the accessories ; pump, filter, decorations, light, heater etc.   All I needed was a net to catch the fish.   The gold fish are now in their new home -- their winter retreat !

In the spring when the rain barrels start to fill up they will move back outdoors.



11 comments:

  1. Wonderful Idea. I have friends who keep them in their pond and in he workhouse aquamarine during the winter. Love the retreat theme though.Shall attempt the rain barrel thing .....if I remember next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our rain barrel has a screen lid is it safe to put them under? mostly concerned about when it rains hard and it overflows slightly even with top drain open

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cold can they stand water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gold fish can withstand quite cold temperatures and even survive our Canadian winters outdoors if pond is deep enough and doesn't freeze solid.

      Delete
  4. How often do you have to replace them due to deaths? Do they breed in there? Would it be a good idea to also put algae eaters in there with them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had to replace any since I got them over two years ago. They've remained healthy and are growing but no babies yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for answering. :D Though, how much algae grows in them? Enough to merit algae eaters?

      Delete
    2. Hi Michael - I am considering an algae eater for the indoor fish tank. My tank sits near a window and so there is some algae. I rinse out the filter every couple of days, replace half the water each week.

      Delete
  6. What happens to them when you use the rain barrel water? Do they come out the spigot???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, just their pee and poop

    ReplyDelete

Pin it