So.... off we went to Len's Mill this past summer in Guelph and we chose a 4" deep piece of foam for the mattress and 3 yards of vinyl covered quilt batting. The foam was "on sale", and since I got the last 3 yards of material off the bolt I got an additional 15% off the fabric! My task was to sew the cover for the baby mattress. It was a project I had been putting off for quite a while as I wasn't sure how I was going to do the corners so they looked good, the cover to fit snugly over the foam and how I was going to finish off the end. I really just had one chance to do it right, so when it came time to cut the material I had to be sure.
After searching the internet for ideas, I finally had a day to myself where I could put everything else aside, design a pattern, concentrate and finish the task. Since my sewing skills are a bit rusty I was nervous about tackling such a project, however, I am pleased with the results.
After measuring a couple of times, before cutting the fabric, I then sewed up a sleeve and inserted the piece of foam inside and hand sewed the end. It was quite an awkward task and the ends of my fingers took a beating hand sewing through some tough vinyl despite using a thimble to push the needle through the thickness of the material. I'm happy the way it turned out...... and have a feeling I'll be making some "custom made" crib sheets now too! :)
|Finished custom made baby mattress|