Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Making a Baby Mattress

My youngest is expecting her first baby in a couple of weeks.   Her hubby is building a custom made crib, which of course needed a custom made mattress !

So.... off we went to Len's Mill this past summer in Guelph and we chose a 4" deep piece of foam for the mattress and 3 yards of vinyl covered quilt batting.  The foam was "on sale", and since I got the last 3 yards of material off the bolt I got an additional 15% off the fabric!  My task was to sew the cover for the baby mattress.   It was a project I had been putting off for quite a while as I wasn't sure how I was going to do the corners so they looked good, the cover to fit snugly over the foam and how I was going to finish off the end.    I really just had one chance to do it right, so when it came time to cut the material I had to be sure.

After searching the internet for ideas, I finally had a day to myself where I could put everything else aside, design a pattern, concentrate and finish the task.   Since my sewing skills are a bit rusty I was nervous about tackling such a project, however, I am pleased with the results.

After measuring a couple of times, before cutting the fabric, I then sewed up a sleeve and inserted the piece of foam inside and hand sewed the end.   It was quite an awkward task and the ends of my fingers took a beating hand sewing through some tough vinyl despite using a thimble to push the needle through the thickness of the material.    I'm happy the way it turned out...... and have a feeling I'll be making some "custom made" crib sheets now too!  :)


Finished custom made baby mattress

7 comments:

  1. Very nice job indeed. Daughter has a crib and bassinet but no mattress for either right now! Her toddler is still on the old mattress. I was told other mom is getting it. I just need to supply sheets. Guess which mom does the sewing? Exciting isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice project! I love the pictures and the final result!My sister is pregnant and will love this post! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. hormone replacement
    plant-based memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    best labor day sales on mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  5. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    best mattress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Thanks for sharing this post! I will be coming back to your blog for more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Pin it