Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ontario Bloggers

Today, Cindy from “North of Wiarton” is hosting the Ontario Bloggers day on her blog.   This is a chance for fellow Ontario bloggers to get to know each other. 

I live in a small southwestern Ontario town called Acton, situated between Georgetown and Guelph, Ontario.   There are three traffic lights in our little town.  We have one grocery store, a hardware store, two drug stores,  a new library and a number of small shops on the main street, ie wool shop, consignment stores,  Salvation Army Thrift Store, furniture store, hair dressers,  etc..   A few years ago Giant Tiger came to Acton.   Major shopping centers are 20-30 mins away, which makes you think twice before going shopping.       Acton is also home to the Old Hide House – a leather goods store.  

Acton is about 200 years old.  Tanning was the main industry starting in the mid 1800s until the 1980’s which gave Acton it’s nickname of Leathertown.    Many of the businesses during that time supported the leather industry.     Now the town is more of a commuter town – a lot of people drive out of town for work, including me. 

The population of Acton is now about 10,000 people.   It has grown quite a bit in the last few years as new housing developments are being built.     It still has the small town atmosphere and every year there is the Acton Fall Fair and the Leathertown Festival.  

Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely area. Nice trails and lots to see. I like all the small towns and the high land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Acton in ages. I Thought the Hide House had closed? My dad lives in Georgetown. I am a fellow Ontario Blogger in the Shelburne/Alliston area and your newest follower.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet, I too haven't been in Acton for ages... not far from where my BFF lives. Thank you for participating in the Ontario Blogger's Day. Hope you find a minute or two to drop around to see everyone else who was "linked" up. "Just Me" xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I have taken the train through Acton many times on the way to visit my daughter in Guelph when she went to school there. It looked like a cute little place to live. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet, I've been to Acton too (the Hide House). My family is from the Toronto area so you're not that far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Georgetown (half a lifetime ago) when IT was a small town. I knew Acton well back then. Georgetown then had 17,000 people and was a lovely small town! I miss that.
    Nice blog... reminds me of my childhood, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to say this: IT'S WORTH THE TRIP TO ACTON!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!
    Hello! I'm dropping by to say hi courtesy of the amazing Cindy and her Ontario Blogger festivus! My husband and I were in Acton in November, as a matter of fact, buying a leather coat for his birthday. We live in Muskoka but one of my first jobs in the newspaper business was in Milton - not the Champion but a now-defunct paper and, for the life of me, I can't even remember what it was called. Isn't that terrible? (It sucks getting older.) Anyway, I'll always have a special place in my heart for your neck of the woods. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was the Tribune!!! (Gak... mind misfunction strikes again!)

    ReplyDelete

Pin it