Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Radish Pickle

At our CSA farm pick up the other week there was an abundance of different kinds of radishes.  Dakion and red china rose radish were in the offering as well as black spanish radish.

Radishes are low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. There are also a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese, and a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, Folate and Potassium.

I enjoy radishes just as a snack, however this time I thought I'd make pickles instead.   I recently tried radish pickles with a Thai dish and they were quite good so looked around for a recipe.

I found this recipe on the Canadian Living Magazine website from the July 2007 issue.

Quick Radish Pickle
4 cups thiny sliced radishes (I used both Dakion and Red China Rose radishes)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 (green part only) green onion, sliced

In bowl, toss radishes, salt and let stand for 15 minutes.  Drain and squeeze out liquid.  Add vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and green onion.   Toss to combine.

Enjoy.
Radish pickle

1 comment:

  1. Janet, I have never heard of pickled radish before. My hubby loves radish. I will have to keep this in mind, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it