Since he lives alone, this gift was greatly appreciated. Each month I cooked up a meal that could either be eaten right away or put in his freezer and reheated another day. Now that his health is failing this gift of a meal a month has grown into a more frequent pattern and meals are regularly taken over. Up until just a few weeks ago he at the age of 89 has been very independent. He still lives in his own home and drives is own car. A gift of meals means alot to him and because it was started as a gift he still feels his independence too.
Here are some examples of meals that were made with links to some recipes. Most meals were vegetarian and freezer ready.
- Shepherd's Pie
- Sweet Potatoe Thai Soup and Carrot Cake
- Scalloped potato, salmon croquettes, harvard beets and Christmas pudding.
- Chick pea ragout, Quinoa pilaf, Rhubarb Strawberry crisp
- Squash Fennel Soup, vegetarian samosa, rhubarb orange muffins
- Zucchini pie
- Spagetti Squash Casserole, blueberry coffee cake
- Rice/black bean tomatoe cheese casserole with fresh green beans from my garden
- Lentil Soup and twice baked potatoes
- Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup and baked onions
- Stuffed peppers
- Vegetable and black bean soup, apple rhubarb crisp
- Vegetable fritatta and cooked beets.
|Twice Baked Potato|
|Stuffed Acorn Squash with cranberries|