Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Soup of the Week #1 - Making Stock

With food costs rising all the time I am always looking for ways to cut costs.  So much food in our country is wasted and thrown out. 

In our house, nothing goes to waste, including discarded vegetable choppings and peels.

During the cooler months I like making a large pot of soup every week, enough for lunches during the week and some to freeze as well.

I start my soups with homemade stock.

Depending on the soup I am making I will use homemade vegetable, chicken, turkey or ham bone stock.

Vegetable Stock
All those discarded vegetable choppings, carrot ends, tough stems from collard greens, kale; radish greens / turnip greens, onion peels.... go into the compost bin .. NO .. not yet.  They all get washed and put into a freezer bags for later use to make stock.  Nothing goes to waste.

Once I have a bag full of frozen vegetable discards it is emptied into a large soup pot or crock pot.  The vegetables are then left to simmer for a couple of hours.  The broth is then cooled and strained.  The broth is saved as a base for soup and the cooked vegetables then go to the compost bin. 

Chicken / Turkey Stock 
I also save chicken and turkey bones after they have been roasted.   I leave some meat on the bones and place the bones into a large soup pot and fill with water and simmer for a few hours.   Broth is then cooled and bones removed.   I also save the the drippings from the roast pan for the stock.  Once the drippings have cooled in the fridge the fat will separate and can be easily discarded.   Broth can be frozen in smaller containers for later use or used right away for soup.

Ham Bone Stock 
Whenever I cook a ham with the bone, it is also used for making stock.   Stock from a ham makes wonderful pea or bean soups.  I leave some meat on the bone and place into large soup pot, fill with water and simmer for a couple of hours.  Broth is then cooled and bone removed.  Drippings from a roast ham is also saved for the broth and once cooled in the fridge the fat will separate and be easily discarded.  Broth can be frozen in smaller containers for later use or used right away for soup.

Stay tuned for recipes using these stocks in soups.

2 comments:

  1. I love making stocks too but have never thought about saving vegetable scraps for making broth.
    Thanks for the tip! I will start saving my vegetable scraps now! I just posted how I use every piece of that leftover holiday ham and how to make bone broth. Great minds think alike! Have a great new year friend!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I will try this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin it