Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Taking Stock - 2014

It's that time of year again when I "Take Stock".  

Last January I posted about taking stock of our finances.   This is an exercise I do a couple times a year.  Each January though I do a more lengthy check as this is the month when I have more time and the busyness of the holiday season is over.

This year I also took Gail Vaz-Oxlade's free on-line course called "My Money, My Choices".  This is an excellent course !  Be prepared to do your homework !  Some of the challenges are easy and others are not.  I had already done alot of the challenges in this course so was able to speed ahead.    I'm already on Level 12 !   Nice affirmation to know that I am on the right track.

I continue to track our utility consumption - ie natural gas / electricity and water.  As consumption changes track reasons why and make changes where needed.  I track all our bills and watch for any fluctuations and take stock to find ways to reduce or eliminate.

This year I have added a couple more money saving challenges and have linked up with a couple of other bloggers to stay motivated in my challenges.  

1.  52 Week Money Challenge -  Cindy over at Just North of Wiarton.
2.  Lo-No Spend months -  1/2 Dozen Daily

January is also my month to get organized.  First challenge it so clean out the pantry and freezers and use up what I have to help with my Lo-No spend and 52 Week Money Challenges.  This will reduce our grocery bill and use up what is in our freezer so that it can get cleaned out.  As we get down to the bottom of the freezer meals will get very creative !

I spent a good portion of New Year's Day outside cutting branches that had fallen due to the ice storm we had before Christmas and hauling to the front yard.   Brr... it was cold out : -21C !     The temperature here has dropped even further and with the wind chill dropped to -35C last night.  We still have more clean up in our back yard to do.  Today the Town came and took what we had away and will be mulching/chipping the wood for future use.


All this came from our yard


1 comment:

  1. that storm did a lot of damage didn't it? Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it