Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Soup of the Week #4 - Pea Soup

This pea soup recipe comes from the original Moosewood cookbook by Mollie Katzen.  It's called "Best Split Pea Soup" - and it is the best!

Although the Moosewood recipe is a vegetarian one, I adapted it by using stock I made with a ham bone.

Each time I make pea soup it is a bit different depending what vegetables I have on hand.  This time added parsnips and turnip.  The soup turned out delicious and creamy (without dairy).

This soup needs to simmer a long time - so give yourself a few hours at least to make.  It will be worth the time.

Simmer 3 cups of split peas in 5 cups of water or stock with 1 bay leaf.  Recipe also called for 2 tsp of salt, but I omitted this as I used ham bone stock, which is salty enough.

Next I added a cup of chopped onion, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 cup of chopped celery, 2 cups of sliced carrots, 1 cup of sliced parsnips and 1 small rutabaga (turnip), cut up in small pieces, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp of dried thyme, a couple of drops of sesame oil and 3 tbsp of vinegar.   Simmer until vegetables are tender.

Garnish with parsley

Yum !

Enjoy





2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Pinned it to make later. Love my soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello from france! I just found your blog and loved it, that soup is inspiring to me , I 'll have my own garden buy next year and I 'll read you even more, I got attacted buy the gold fish post , i'll share that with my father in law and we'll get rid off those mosquitos ! thank you , your country look so nice you make me want to visit ! who knows .... one day.. thatnks !

    ReplyDelete

Pin it