Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Smocking

I learned to smock before my first child was born - almost 30 years ago.  I took some classes at a local yarn & craft store and instantly fell in love with smocking. 

Smocking is a dying art and is not as popular as it was at one time and is hard to find smocking supplies.   I kept all the little dresses I made over the years and recently took them out of storage in hopes the grand daughters may wear them. 

I made a number of dresses.  Having two daughters a couple of years apart I sometimes smocked dresses in the same fabric, but different designs.  Those were the days when they wanted to dress alike. 

I didn't own a pleater, and would either pin sheets of dots or iron on the dots to pick up the pleats.   

Perhaps one day the art of smocking will become popular again.









1 comment:

  1. Your smocking is just beautiful! It's so nice that you kept them and now your granddaughters will be able to wear them.:-)

    ReplyDelete

Pin it