Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

Knitting Tip : Circular Needles

I used to like knitting with circular needles and over the years slowly have built up my collection for each knitting projected I embarked on.  I kept them in their original packages, neatly coiled for easy storage.

When I went to use them again the plastic string would stay coiled up and would irritate the heck out of me.  My work would twist and I would fight with the needles.  They would have a mind of their own and go in opposite directions.   The effort to knit with these coiled up needles, overtook my desire to knit with them when my hands became sore from fighting with the needles.

So, what to do with these needles all packaged up nice and neat?    Click on the link ( Pinterest via Freshstitches.com ) on how to uncoil circular needles.   I saved this pin for using at another time and then promptly forgot about it.   Recently I decided to try knitting lace shawl, which required using the circular needle and was browsing my pins and found this tip and thought to give it a try.

I really didn't think it would work, but really wanted to knit this shawl so thought I have nothing to loose.  Well, seeing is believing !!!!!

I took my coiled up circular needle and placed in a mixing bowl and poured hot water over to completely cover the needle.   Right before my eyes, the needle sprung straight !  Wow, was I amazed.   I let the needle sit for a couple of hours thinking it may coil right back up after it cooled off.  But the next day... the needle was still straight.   I have now begun my shawl and am so happy to not be fighting with the needles.


1 comment:

  1. I love circular needles, and they are the only thing I knit with. I am in the process of knitting a hat, I will post a photo on my blog tomorrow. By the way I was told to let a kettle boil and rung the wire through the steam and that straightens them out, especially the longer cables.

    ReplyDelete

Pin it