Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

What Was Old is New Again


I received as a gift, oh so many years ago, a brass lamp.  I really liked this lamp and it's shape, but slowly over the years it started to loose its finish.  

No matter what I did to try to restore it, without spending alot of money, nothing seemed to work.  I've seen many ideas on re-purposing, re-finishing lamps so thought I would give it a try.

First, using masking tape I covered up the sections that I didn't want to be touched by paint, including the cord.   Then, using a fine sandpaper, sanded down the lamp and wiped away the dust on the lamp.

I spray painted the lamp using a semi-gloss Tremclad paint for metal in black.   It took two coats, and am very pleased with the results.

Next was finding a lamp shade that didn't cost a fortune.  I scoured many shops and finally found one at Walmart.     Total cost =  1 can of spray paint $6.95 Cdn (with enough left over to re-paint my mailbox) ; one lampshade $16.95 Cdn.  = $23.90 Cdn (and a mailbox that looks brand new too :) )




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it