Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mint

Mint grows abundantly in my garden and if given the chance would take over.

I find this herb to be versatile.  I use it in refreshing drinks in the summer.  Flavouring water with just mint, lemon and lime is thirst quenching on a hot summer day.  We like to boil new potatoes with mint.  I have made mint jelly and sauce to serve with lamb and dried it for making a mint tea.

The menthol in mint improves digestion and has decongestant and antiseptic properties.

One of my new favourite ways to use mint is in a Watermelon Mint salad ! Delicious !   This recipe came by way of my mother.

Watermelon Salad with Mint Leaves

Ingredients:
1 (5-pound) watermelon
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 c chopped mint / basil
½ c  feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing :
1/4 c red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1/2 c  olive oil
Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time.   Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.   In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta.  Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed.

Enjoy !

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I will have to try out your watermelon salad - I have spearmint and chocolate mint plants on my patio😀

    ReplyDelete

Pin it