Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Cat Nip

I started growing catnip in the house by seed one winter and then transplanted outdoors after the frost. 

I grew this herb for mainly for my cat.   
         She loves catnip ! 

Catnip comes in different varieties and the one I grew is the Nepta Cataria.  It also looks pretty in my perennial beds.  The bees loved this plant this summer when it flowered.  I don't remember seeing so many bees.  But then again, when you "stop and smell the roses" as I have had to do this summer you start to notice things you didn't see before.



It comes from the mint family.

Catnip isn't just for cats.  It has medicinal and culinary qualities too.  It can be dried and used in teas and has similar effect as chamomile.   I also read that it has mosquito repellent qualities, but I haven't tried it yet.  

For now, it's hanging drying now and will be later stored for our pet. 




1 comment:

  1. Lovely cat! We have a black cat too, maybe I should grow some catnip for him!

    ReplyDelete

Pin it